Degree Portfolio Requirements
As part of Kishwaukee College's assessment program, students intending to graduate with an A.A., A.E.S., A.F.A., or A.S. are required to submit a Degree Portfolio. The Degree Portfolio is used by the College to assess the degree to which our graduates have mastered our general education goals.
Below are the results of the percent of Graduates Meeting or Exceeding Requirements of the Portfolio for the past three years:
|Introduction to Portfolio||86.1||88.2||94.9||96.6|
|Application of Terms/Facts/Concepts||76.5||77.5||72.8||76.7|
This coming academic year the college faculty will discuss how we can facilitate our students’ success in meeting or exceeding our expectations for Usage Mastery and Higher Level Thinking.
Why does Kishwaukee College want me to create a portfolio?
- Reflecting on your educational experiences at Kishwaukee College can help you to discover more about how you have grown as a student, and may help you to grow stronger as a learner and as a person. The reflection process may also assist you in setting future goals.
- The portfolio will be used by the College as one of a number of assessment tools that measure how effectively the College meets the educational needs of our students. The College uses this information to continuously improve the teaching/learning process to benefit our students.
Portfolio Due Dates:
- Summer 2014 Graduation - Due July 25, 2014
- Fall 2014 Graduation - Due December 5, 2014
- Spring 2015 Graduation - Due April 24, 2015
- Summer 2015 Graduation - Due July 24, 2015
Preparing Your Portfolio
- Here are Guidelines to help you to successfully prepare your Degree Portfolio
- Watch this location for Student Guidelines for the New Degree Portfolio Requirements to be available by early June
- Apply for graduation by completing the Graduation Application Form (PDF).
- Submit your portfolio to Library staff at the Library Circulation Desk by the appropriate due date. No folders or notebooks please, as envelopes will be provided.
- Fill out the check list indicating that your portfolio is complete and that you have applied for graduation.
- Upon being checked in by instructional staff you will receive an e-mail indicating whether your portfolio was accepted as complete or if incomplete what items are needed for completion.
In order to assist you in preparing a Degree Portfolio that will meet expectations, download and review the PDF versions below of examples of past submissions that have met the Portfolio Review Committee expectations.
- Multi-Source Paper Sample 1
- Multi-Source Paper Sample 2
- Application Sample 1
- Application Sample 2
- Creative Thinking Sample 1
- Cultural Attitude Sample 1
Get help putting together your Degree Portfolio!
- Watch for Fall 2014 workshop dates
All workshops meet in A1102, Library Classroom
What else should I know about the degree portfolio process?
- Your degree portfolio will not be returned to you.
- College-level work is expected in all item submissions (Work must be from course numbered 100 and above, that means no work submitted from classes numbered 097, 098, etc.).
- Follow the requirements of the scoring rubrics, not your paper grade, when you make your selections.
- Either originals or copies of work are acceptable. The work does not have to show the grade given to you by your instructor.
- You can use items from another college if appropriate work from Kishwaukee College is not available.
- Audio or video recording of your presentations or speeches, or computer files of art work may be included in your degree portfolio.
- All writing included in the portfolio is evaluated. This includes the overall cover letter, individual item cover sheets, and actual assignments submitted.
Submit portfolios to:
Staff at the Library Circulation desk
Direct Inquiries about the preparation of your portfolio to:
Director Library Services
Phone: 815-825-2086, ext. 3660
Phone: 815-825-2086, ext. 3640
Direct Inquiries about the submission of your portfolio to:
Steven E. Squier
Dean, MSB Division
Phone: 815-825-2086, ext. 2070