Getting Started with Online Learning
Whether you are a first-time online course student or a returning online course student, below is an important checklist for getting started with online courses at Kishwaukee College.
- Browse online course offerings through the Credit Course Schedule.
- If you have a question concerning a specific course's curriculum and/or requirements, you can e-mail the instructor of that course by searching for the instructor in the Instructor/Staff Directory.
- Register for the online course through Admissions, Records & Registration or myKC (the college's portal). View steps for getting started.
- Once enrolled and your registration confirmed on your schedule, get familiar with online courses by reviewing all of the information at the Online Learning Resource Center.
- Note the start date of your online course listed under Credit Course Schedule or on your student schedule at myKC. Access to classes within the Brightspace system will not be active until 12 a.m. on that date. (Instructors reserve the right to allow access to their online course offering up to three days prior to the start date.)
- Check the compatibility of your computer's Internet browser software (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, Opera, etc.) by visiting the Computer Requirements and the Brightspace System Check.
- Purchase the textbook(s) for your course by visiting the Bookstore.
- To get oriented with online courses please visit the Orientation Information and Tutorials page to review the Brightspace Student Essentials (PDF) document and the accompanying documentation and tutorials.
- Take a moment to get familiar with myKC and your KishID and password which you will use to log in to the Brightspace system. For more information regarding KishIDs, please visit the KishID Account Setup page.
- If you are having trouble logging in to myKC or the Brightspace learning environment, please visit the KishID Account Setup page. If after visiting the KishID Account Setup page you are still experiencing difficulties with logging in, please contact the Kishwaukee College Help Desk at 815-825-9888.
- After your course has begun and you have successfully logged in, enjoy your online learning experience!
If you have any questions concerning Brightspace and/or online learning, please contact:
Coordinator of Online Learning
Office: Media Services, A1252